Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Shovel the walk?

In the fall Aunt Amy "returned" a fluffy, recently dry cleaned sleeping bag, which she claimed I lent her years ago. I didn't recognize the bag, and we already have a sack for mama, a sack for papa & even one for the little campfire.

Right before Christmas, I saw a homeless looking gentleman crossing National Road carrying a ratty looking sleeping bag.

If I didn't need the sleeping bag, Papa didn't need the sleeping bag and baby doesn't need a bag, why not find a homeless fella who could use it. Right?

The 13-year-old neighbor Colleen told me yesterday that she thought this was a terrible idea. I guess she was right. It's too early to be teaching our little winter squash about car jackings.

This morning, the doorbell of opportunity rang. And luckily didn't wake the squash.

A man with a hard-luck story & a shovel was looking for a little snow-shoveling work. Ten bucks to clean the whole way around the house. But only $2 to clean the front walk.

When I handed over the ones, the man had socks on his hands. Dirty socks. Ugh.

"Need a sleeping bag?" He wasn't sure at first, but after I explained what a sleeping bag was, he agreed. I'd leave it on the porch & after he earned $12, he would pick it up. How much is a six-pack these days?

As Baby Alexander will learn before long, I keep a lot of useful stuff, and can't turn down a deal. I'm not a hoarder, but I have a very organized collection of many, many things which I'm just waiting to redistribute to someone who needs it.

Today was the day. I went to the winter hat, glove, scarf collection & pulled out my old purple thermal ski gloves, purple Thermal ear muffs and a flappy winter hat.

The snow shoveler was so happy to put his socks on his feet & gloves on his hands.

But I told him not to ring the bell again. The baby is sleeping.

1 comment:

Comfort Socks said...

Hello
I was glad that you noticed the mans socks, and that you gave him an opportunity to be blessed by you.

My non-profit organization, Comfort Socks, delivers new socks to homeless shelters all across the United States.
Please contact us if you are interested in doing a sock drive to help homeless people and families.
our website is:
www.comfortsocksonline.org

If you feel so moved, please spread the word about the work we are doing. Collecting new socks are an easy way for people to help people, and the socks make a huge difference in someone's life.

Thank you
Comfort Socks
www.comfortsocksonline.org
http://comfortsocks.blogspot.com/