Friday, December 18, 2009

Nora Elizabeth McMahon


When I was a girl, I had to write an essay about the person I admired most. I chose my cousin Nora. She had cancer when she was little & she survived. More than survived, she thrived. And grew up to be, probably, one of the most caring, sensitive, thoughtful & loving members of my extended family.

We called her Little Nora, because when she was born in 1979 we already had a Big Nora.

She always sent us Christmas presents, although we only saw her once or twice each year.

Nora & my Aunt Bubba traveled the whole way from Rochester, with a backseat full of healthy snacks, to celebrate Alexander's arrival with us & then turned right around to make it back to go to work the next day.
Nora was the last off the dance floor @ Jeff's wedding in October. I danced with her & stood with her to watch Andy & Colin flapping all around dancin' like fools.

And this morning she passed away.

It is sad that Alexander won't get to know her when he gets bigger. But we can be sure that she's made it to Heaven & will be watching down on us. Sending us Christmas presents each year.

I love you Little Nora.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I found this blog by accident, searching for info about what happened to Nora. I've known her FOREVER, she and her family have lived across the street from my family since.... well, since before my parents moved there in 1979. We went to grade school together, and then sort of lost touch, but I would still see her every so often and we'd say hi. I'm sad today :(

-- Meghan

Mama said...

Very sad Meghan.

Bernadette said, "(Nora) only loved. (Nora) never judged. (Nora) never put any one down, just accepted ...them as they are............ (Nora), my Nora taught everyone how to love."

I think she said it best. There is a "viewing" Tuesday 4-8 & mass Wed. morning @ 9:30, I believe.

Anonymous said...

We will all miss Nora.
She was small in stature but big in heart.
Uncle Vince