Friday, October 17, 2008

Our Super-Sweet Baby Shower, October 11, 2008

My mother & sister thought of a thousand special little details to make Baby Boris' Baby Shower a special memory for me, and a warm celebration for all of our friends and family who traveled to share the afternoon with us.

It is wonderful to see (and feel) how much everyone cares for D and I, and our growing baby boy. It means so much to us, especially because we live so far from all of you! Family & friends came from Brooklyn, Johnstown, Rochester, Pittsburgh, Mt. Joy and from right down the street to eat Jenn's delicious baby cake (not the diaper cake, of course!)



And when Jenny Brown heard that Jenn made white cake... (can you BELIEVE Jenn made that cake? She cut out all those little onsies, diapers and buttons with three kids running loose! Hoy vey!) Anyway, when JB heard that we had white cake, even she showed up with her trumpet! What a great friend!

Like every good baby shower Jenn & my mama organized some games for everyone to play. The first game was to come up with a list of baby names for every letter of the alphabet; surprisingly, no one suggested Baby Boris' real name (yes, D & I have decided on a real name:), but my Aunt Connie did suggest we name him Popeye... Hmmm... interesting!

We also played the what baby food is this game & a quick game where everyone had to choose which features I wanted Baby Boris to pop out with... D's curly black hair & dark skin & my blue eyes and freckles, of course! Someone even suggested he should inherit Jenny Brown's musical talent :) (You thought all those pictures had disappeared, didn't you JB?)

But more important than the games, was the food! Jenn and my mama made little baby-sized cookies, miniature sandwiches and our favorite spinach dip. Aunt Amy made every one's favorite fruit salad and Aunt Connie tested her new peanut butter cup brownies out on us... they passed with flying colors!



Unfortunately, I don't have too many pictures because I misplaced my camera rather early in the shower... hoy vey! Jenn will email me some pictures soon & I will add those to the post!


After the games and the yummy spread, Sarah & Amia helped me open all of Baby Boris' (don't you wish you knew his real name?) presents! Everyone was SO generous!


Baby Boris (what do you think his real name is?) received a stroller, onsies, sleepers, toys, a bigger-than-baby Elmo, a car seat and a million other presents...

Being the dork I am, I organized everything when we got home & laid it out to show Daddy D... Hoy vey, it was slightly overwhelming! With all the big stuff (strollers, swing, bath tub, etc.) in the basement, the little stuff filled our whole bedroom! Hoy vey! ...And of course, i took a picture... what kind of weirdo would I be if i didn't?

After the presents, Jenn and my mom sent everyone home with their own goodies! Jenn hand stamped little packets of Tall Ageratum, Morning Glory & Cleome seeds that my mom gathered from both her garden in Carlisle and my "garden" in West Virginia to give away as party favors. Now Vickie can turn her "wedding" garden into a "wedding & baby shower" garden!



And because we love to give things away so much, my mom also made banana, cranberry and strudel breads and I made peach preserves for everyone to take home. Yum!

After the shower, the men-folk invaded with their sausage & potatoes, (I crack myself up!) and grilled up a delicious meal before everyone began their journey home. Unfortunately, D & mike cooked way too fast, and before I knew it I was hugging everyone goodbye & we were on our way back to Wheeling.

I wish we had more time with my Aunt Bubba & Nora, who made a day trip of their five-hour drive from Rochester; and a few more hours with George & Larry (te-he) who I've barely seen since college; and few more minutes to talk with Lindsey about her wedding planning; and in general a little more time to be with everyone who came to the shower and with everyone who couldn't make it!
Thank you so much! You are the best friends & family that a girl (and her baby) could ever ask for!






1 comment:

JB said...

Oy vey - I'm going to kill you.
Jenn's cake was amazing though, and what a good baker your mom is! You're lucky...