Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Trax Farm Pumpkin Festival

Pumpkin pie. Pumpkin butta'. Pumpkin ice cream. Pumpkin good times!

Have I ever mentioned how fabulous a pumpkin-filled Saturday with my family can be? Yeah, it's pumptastic! (We just need to pick a seasonally appropriate fruit for the other three seasons, and we'll be set.)


The cutest pumpkin in the patch, you ask? Alexander, of course! (With Maia a close second...)


Trax Farm is about a hour from home, and luckily, a wonderful friend gave us a huge bag of backyard apples to tide us over until we could get our fix of the good stuff. Of course, Mama would never offer the munchkin a candied apple... at least, not yet. But the kiddos did have their first taste of kettle corn, and they loved it! I mean, who doesn't?

Trax is actually a store, and enterprise to be exact, during pumpkin season. There were so many people, and at least twice as many pumpkins (and mums, and candy apples...)



The farm has a half dozen "piles-o-pumpkins" for the little ones to conquer (ie. select & purchase). Luckily, our mountaineer hasn't gotten to the "gimme, gimme" stage, he's more around the "take my shoes off so I can enjoy this climbing better," stage.



Granny Smith has been quite vocal about how smart & strong-willed our munchkin is, and insists we should soon, "establish boss." I think we may have missed that hay ride; the boy absolutely refuses to conform & follow the crowd. Every man, woman & child was climbing on pumpkins, so our little farmer headed to the abandoned herb display and climbed up, slunked under & crawled through. There are definitely some battle I want to win easily, but I just love to watch the kiddo wear his own path. He is amazing!
Last night as I was drifting off to sleep, I groggily compared Maia with my mother. No, it wasn't their athleticism or petite form, but how they interact with the kids. Alexander runs to Maia & loves on her (a second-mother), like my sister's kids do with my mother. When I told Maia this morning, she laughed and said, "I'm his very young grandmother."
Actually, Alexander has taken to calling me, "Maia Mama," and referring to Maia as, " Mama Maia." Of course, he also calls Papa, "Mama Daddy," and refers to going potty as, "cat poop" now.
The one thing he gets right every single day? Colleen. Most mornings Alexander watches Colleen Goodneighbor outside, waiting for the bus, and he screams (and she can apparently hear him through the closed window), "Hi Coween. Hi Coween!" Then, throughout the day, when a bus jingles past the house, he'll say, in order, "Julie?," "Hi Maia!," "Hi Coween." Some of you might now what I'm talking about when I say, the kid's inherited my inflection. Whoa!



He's also inherited my desire to go barefoot. Last weekend when Mama Anna was visiting, she was just so happy that we let the kid run wild through the yard in his barefeet. What's good for the goose is good for the gander, right? And it was even Papa's suggestion at the farm to kick the boy's shoes off so her could get a better grip on the pumpkins!

Oh my goodness, don't you wish you were kissin' a Zander sandwich right now? Hoy vey, that's good stuff!

Our little pumpkin has been on a bit of a kiss-kick lately. OK, he likes to get hugged too, but the kissing part makes us giggle. After Alessia's visit, I decided to start teaching the boy the two cheek kiss (speaking of which, he said, "butt" today, while sitting on the pot, lifting one cheek up & pointing to his keester; HA!). Back to the two cheeker, it is so cute. You, actually, should come visit, just so you can indulge in the lovin'.




At first I just thought the boy needed a nap, but turns out the kid got a fever shortly before bed after the pumpkin-capades, which explains a lot of his calm/cuddle-ness. Poor kiddo. Haven't decided if it is a true fever or just a couple of molars making headway. Either way, poor, sleepless munchkin.
Luckily, the boy is going through a "big kid" phase, and really wants to drink out of coffee mugs & pint glasses, or we would have ran into a very unsanitary problem at the goat corral. Luckily, our little 2 percenter didn't find the goat bottles the least bit interesting... phewww!


Alexander LOVES horses; OK, anything with four really long legs & hair. I can't wait to start horseback riding lessons... for him, i mean...
I'm sure some of you are wondering why our little guy is locked in a petting zoo and why I am letting him touch all of those dirty animals... well, I wasn't in charge. I stood back & just counted the more than 75 diseases children can get from petting zoos while Papa did the hand feeding. I mean, i let him walk around barefoot, it was Papa's turn to put him at risk...
And then i met them all at the exit gate with a few pumps of hand sanitizer & some wet wipes. Whoa, those goats are cute though...



And his favorite of God's creatures? That's right, a cute, downy haired, little duck. Quack, quack.



Papa & I are so blessed to have such an amazingly wonderful family to spend our Saturdays with; can I get a TGFS (Thank God for Saturdays)?


2 comments:

mama louie said...

this is your best blog ever, made me smile from beginning to end, the pics are wonderful. I wish we were there to join you!!!

grandpa said...

We are blessed to have such a wonderful family to keep track of.